Don’t be an amateur. Protect your customer data
The January 6th Storming of the United States Capitol was a horrifying experience. The attempt to overturn the election and the violence that followed was something that the entire world tuned into.
Let’s say you’re working on a project with 2 other developers. You’re each being good citizens and checking in your code to feature branches. Then, when the time is right, those branches will be checked into the main branch. All good.
However, fast forward a few months and your git history will likely end up looking something like this! Yikes.
Over the past few years under the “new Microsoft”, there have been many efforts to open-source the languages and frameworks that Microsoft develop. .NET Core (Microsoft’s development platform) is fully open-source and developers are actively encouraged to develop applications on non-Windows platforms such as Linux and macOS, something that wouldn’t have happened at all during the previous administration.
Anyway, I write this article while developing in Visual Studio Code on macOS and I came across a new C# feature that serves no other purpose than to put a smile on developers faces all around the globe: Value Tuples.
In this article, I’m going to focus on Sass and how you can use it to organise your CSS and make yourself much more productive.
TLDR; Sass is awesome. It’ll save you some time and sanity. Keep on reading for the deets.
But, each layer of…
I like writing about RxJS. Even though I’ve spent so much time with it lately with my active projects, I still find new and exciting features that improve my development workflow.
from() Observable to wrap your promises and then you can use them in an RxJS pipeline.
Read on if you’d like to know the details.
This article follows on from Part 1.
As discussed previously, Hands-Free applications are different to develop than their mobile cousins. The majority of Part 1 was focused on Speech and how to optimise your applications for this new style of input. In this Part, I’ll discuss Motion Tracking, Localisation and a few other things.
We all know that applications should be localised. This isn’t just true for hands-free applications but also mobile. After all, only 20% of the world's population speak English, so how do you cater for the other 80%?
But it doesn’t stop there, a further challenge with…
Creating awesome by combining
It’s quite easy to get lost in RxJS. There are plenty of operators to choose from and on my developer journey, I’ve discovered that it’s really easy to overlook an operator that might save you a headache or 2.
Following on from my previous article discussing flatMap vs. switchMap, in this article I’m going to cover
The official definition from the RxJS documentation is:
Returns an Observable that emits the items you specify as arguments before it begins to emit items emitted by the source Observable.
As usual, with programming, it’s too…
This article started to get a little long, so I split it up. See Part 2.
I started working with Hands-Free wearable technology back in 2008. My tiny software consultancy was approached through some work we did on Windows SideShow (…long story). The requirement was:
How to control Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations using a Hands-Free Device?
We decided to take on the challenge and started working with Microsoft and the Kopin Golden-i 3.5 (sidebar, my company was later acquired by Kopin and we kept on working with them on great technology).
The Golden-i devices are completely Hands-Free, speech operated and, back…
Before the age of the mouse, computers were operated solely through the keyboard. Even though the concepts for a mouse-type input device had been around since the 60s they didn’t really become popular until the early 1980s.
The idea that you could “touch” your interface (albeit through a corded extension on your desk) made computers far more accessible and visual than they ever were before.
But, you still had to touch them.
Businesses throughout the globe are re-evaluating how we undertake the most basic of tasks. These challenges generally fall into 2 categories:
For a long time, if you wanted users to access your service on mobile you needed to build an app. This is especially true so that your users can access your service and still have a great experience when their connectivity is “spotty” or non-existent. For iOS, this usually means writing in Objective-C or Swift, and for Android, you need to tune your Java skills or embrace Kotlin, for Desktop … the list is endless.
In addition, there are also a number of cross-platform frameworks available to write your app, but, no matter what you decided to use, the following…